The Pogues’ and Kirsty MacColl’s ‘Fairytale of New York’ has been voted as the best Christmas song of all-time by listeners of Magic Radio.
They finished ahead of classics such as Mariah Carey’s All I Want for Christmas Is You and Last Christmas by Wham.
It is a perfect end to a perfect week for frontman Shane MacGowan who got married to his long term partner journalist Victoria Mary Clarke.
The couple tied the knot in Denmark on Monday, in a small ceremony where the music was provided by Hollywood star Johnny Depp playing guitar.
Magic Radio’s 12 songs of Christmas also featured Band Aid, Chris Rea, Slade and Wizard.
The 12 Songs of Christmas as selected by Magic Radio listeners are:
1. Fairytale of New York – Pogues and Kirsty Maccoll
2. All I Want For Christmas Is You – Mariah Carey
3. Last Christmas – Wham!
4. Do They Know It’s Christmas – Band Aid
5. Driving Home For Christmas – Chris Rea
6. Happy Xmas (War is Over) – John Lennon and Yoko Ono
7. Step Into Christmas – Elton John
8. Wonderful Christmastime – Paul McCartney
9. Merry Xmas Everybody – Slade
10. I Wish It Could Be Christmas Everyday – Wizzard
11. Stay Another Day – East 17
12. Merry Christmas Everyone – Shakin’ Stevens
Research to coincide with the list also revealed that Christmas day is the most eagerly anticipated day of the year, with 69% of adults looking forward to it more than New Year’s Eve or Bank Holidays.
The most important part of Christmas was spending time with loved ones for 60% of people.
The research also showed that almost half of the population get into a festive mood when they hear Christmas music.
Meanwhile, a quarter of adults get in the Christmas spirit when they see Christmas decorations and 18% start to feel it when they do their Christmas shopping.
Magic Radio spokesman said: “When it comes to putting people in the Christmas spirit, music is king.
“And it’s no wonder that more people are turning to music to bring them festive cheer – it’s the ultimate escapism in another year of uncertain times and bad news.
“With Christmas bringing loved ones together, there’s no better time to put music on and relax into that Christmassy feeling.”